This is my suggestions for change with the latest events. They are in no particular order:
- End the drug war. incarcerating non-violent drug offenders takes young fathers from their families and perpetuates the poverty cycle. It also removes male role models from the home.
- Demand your local city use body cams. They quickly disprove false excessive force allegations, allowing investigators to focus on real ones.
- Demand your local police have a Citizen Review Board. No longer can police departments police themselves.
- Demand increased funding for public defenders. Poor people are easy targets of the system regardless of innocence. The Plea Bargain system bastardizes these people’s chance of justice and destroys families.
- Demand increased pre-job training for police including de-escalation techniques.
- STOP militarizing the police immediately. There is a distinct important difference between Police and Military. Don’t let Military police our citizens and don’t let Police pretend to be Military.
- eliminate qualified immunity. Police and Prosecutors should be held to a higher standard given the tools and consequences of their actions. Its original intent was immediately bastardized. If nothing else, they should be put on trial and let a jury make the decision.